Bell-ringing ceremonies to commemorate 100th anniversary of end of WWI
November 7, 2018
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — At 11 a.m. Sunday, the bell in front of the Heart of Steamboat Springs United Methodist Church will toll 21 times to honor veterans and to recognize 100 years since the end of the first World War.
Each time the bell rings, a name of one of the 22 Routt County men who gave their lives in the war will be read. More than 990 young men from Routt County were called to service during World War I, including 188 from Steamboat.
Similar ceremonies will take place across Routt County, including at the Tracks and Trails Museum, 129 East Main St. in Oak Creek; South Routt Elementary School, 448 Main St. in Yampa, and Yampa Bible Church, 83 Moffat Ave. The Hayden Congregational Church, 202 E Jefferson Ave., also will host a ceremony in addition to other locations.
The efforts are being organized by the World War I Centennial Commission, which is working to get towns across the United States to ring bells at 11 a.m. Sunday to commemorate World War I and the families whose relatives helped bring victory to the allies in Europe.
It's just one of many events taking place this week as part of Veterans Day.
Recommended Stories For You
- 5:30 p.m. World War I/American Legion exhibit opening at Tread of Pioneers Museum, 800 Oak St.
Thursday, Nov. 8
- 10 a.m. Veterans Day program, South Routt Elementary School.
Friday, Nov. 9
- 6:30 to 8:30 a.m. Veterans Day breakfast, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4264, 924 Lincoln Ave.
- 1 p.m. Korean Consulate presents medals to Korean War veterans and their families, Rex’s American Grill & Bar, 3190 South Lincoln Ave.
Veterans Day, Sunday, Nov. 11
- 11 a.m. Bell-ringing ceremony commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, Yampa Bible Church, South Routt Elementary School, Hayden Congregational Church, Tracks and Trails Museum and Heart of Steamboat United Methodist Church, 736 Oak St.
Monday, Nov. 12
- 9:30 a.m. Veterans Day program, Strawberry Park Elementary School, 39620 Amethyst Drive.
- 11 a.m. Veterans Day program, Hayden High School auditorium, 495 West Jefferson Ave. in Hayden. Veterans are invited to have lunch with students following the presentation.
- 11:45 a.m. Veterans visit, Casey’s Pond senior living community, 2855 Owl Hoot Trail.