Bathroom fan causes fire at Stagecoach condo
January 27, 2017
Steamboat Springs — Smoke detectors and the smell of smoke alerted neighbors to a fire Friday morning at a Stagecoach condo complex.
At 9:50 a.m., Oak Creek Fire Protection District firefighters were called to the Wagon Wheel condos at 23800 Routt County Road 16.
A neighbor called to report smelling smoke and alarms coming from a unit below her.
Firefighters found moderate smoke but no fire and determined the smoke had come from a fire in a bathroom.
Firefighters determined the fire started when a bathroom ventilation fan malfuctioned.
Capt. Roger Moore said it was not clear if the fan was on when the fire started.
Recommended Stories For You
It is believed the fan overheated, dripped hot plastic and ignited items on the floor, as well as a toilet seat cover.
The heat from the fire caused the toilet to crack, and it melted a hole in the plastic water line feeding the toilet.
"That had just a little bit of a spray that kept the fire in check," Moore said.
The bathroom had minor damage, and the rest of the condo had some smoke contamination.
"It could have been much worse," Moore said.
The tenants and their young child were not home when the fire started. The family will be displaced until the smoke damage can be addressed.
A dog was kept in a back room and did not appear to be injured.
"Sadly, we had a fire, but everyone is alive and well, and that's what's important," Moore said.