Alleged stalker released on technicality |

Alleged stalker released on technicality

Gary E. Salazar

— An 18-year-old Steamboat Springs man facing numerous felony stalking charges was released Wednesday afternoon after a prosecutor failed to file charges within the mandatory time period.

Jared Marc Fuller, who was being held on $100,000 bond in the Routt County Jail since last week, was released on his own recognizance because Deputy District Attorney David Moffat did not file charges within a 72-hour period.

Fuller was arrested Sept. 6 for allegedly stalking his former girlfriend and threatening to hurt the woman and her family.

Because of the seriousness of the allegations, Routt County Judge James Garrecht set Fuller’s bond at $100,000 last Friday.

For the bond to remain in effect, Moffat had 72 hours to formally file charges against Fuller.

As the case was being reviewed Wednesday, Garrecht found out charges had not been filed.

Recommended Stories For You

“Counsel, we have a problem here,” Garrecht said to Moffat. “Charges have not been filed.”

Fuller’s attorney, Larry Combs, immediately asked that his client be released, which Garrecht granted. Moffat did not make excuses for not filing the charges.

“If I would have had my ducks in a row, this would not have happened,” Moffat said. “I’m definitely disappointed. I knew of the policy, and I didn’t get it done.”

Moffat intends to charge Fuller with multiple counts of stalking, a class four felony.

According to a court file, Fuller allegedly followed and threatened his former girlfriend Sept. 3 and 4.

The woman obtained a restraining order against Fuller.

Because of the court order Fuller was not to have any contact with the woman.

Although Fuller was released from custody, Garrecht has ordered the man to report to the county’s probation office for supervision and undergo a mental evaluation.

Garrecht warned the man Wednesday that if he violates the restraining order and contacts the woman, he could face an additional felony charge.

The charge carries a mandatory one-year prison sentence, Garrecht said.