Steamboat earns variety of accolades, including Top 3 spot to start a business
Want to start a business in Steamboat Springs? You picked a good spot: Steamboat was recently deemed one of the top three places to start a business in Colorado.
Consumer finance website NerdWallet bestowed the honor after using U.S. Census data to gauge and rank Steamboat’s business climate and economic health. For its findings, the group crunched numbers on 85 locations with at least 5,000 people. The business climate ranking was based on the average revenue of businesses, percentage of businesses with paid employees and the number of businesses per 100 people.
It also analyzed median annual income, median monthly housing costs and the unemployment rate. Analyst Jonathan Todd found Steamboat is home to nearly 3,500 businesses, with the average revenue per business eclipsing $1 million. “A number of the city’s homegrown businesses have made it big,” Todd says.
Steamboat Springs has made it onto several top lists from national publications and organizations:
- Nerd Wallet, Top 3 Places to Start a Business in Colorado
- Matador Network, 21 Coolest Ski Towns in North America
- Ski magazine, Best in the West: Ski Resorts
- U.S. News and World Report: 15 Best Small Towns to Visit in the U.S.; 5th Healthiest County in the Country (2020)
- Men’s Journal, The 20 Best Mountain Towns in America
- Outside magazine, 16 Best Places to Live in the U.S.
- Budget Travel, America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Expedia.com, 30 Most Beautiful Towns in America
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, Most Veterans Friendly Little City in Colorado
- New York Times, 52 Places to Go
- National Geographic, World’s 25 Best Ski Towns
- Smithsonian, 20 Best Small Towns to Visit:
- Forbes, 10 Best American Ski Towns
- Ski Magazine, Top Western Ski Resorts:
- MarketWatch, 10 Great Mountain Towns for Retirees:
- USA Today, 10 Best Spring Break Destinations; 10 Best Offseason Ski Resorts for Summer Adventure; 10 Best Rivers for Tubing
- Sunset magazine, Top 10 Ski Towns in the West
- Tripfind, Top 10 Uncrowded Ski Resorts in North America
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User