Town Challenge bike racing returns to Mount Werner
June 11, 2013
Steamboat Springs — The Town Challenge Mountain Bike Race Series returns Wednesday with a challenging course that will send riders up, down, up and down again on Mount Werner.
The event begins at 5:25 p.m. in Gondola Square at the base of Steamboat Ski Area with the first of the youth races. Those wrap up with the final group starting at 5:37 p.m., then the pro/open division launches at 5:55 p.m. The final group, the women's novice division, starts at 6:11 p.m.
A tough span of racing awaits after that start. The course leads to the base of the Thunderhead Express chairlift, then across the mountain and up the Valley View trail and eventually to the top of the gondola — 2,180 feet of climbing. The course then returns to the base of the Thunderhead lift and climbs back up Valley View again to the top of the gondola, another 1,640 feet of elevation gain, before descending on Rustlers Ridge and EZ-Rider.
For the pro/open, expert and singlespeed classes, the course is about 15 miles. A shortened version for the sport and youth divisions is about 12 miles.
Registration is available online Tuesday or at the starting area Wednesday before the races begin. Advance registration is $25 for adults and $10 for youths 17 and younger. Day-of registration is $35 for adults and $15 for youths.
To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253 or email jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- UPDATED: Backcountry skier dies on Quandary Peak in Summit County
- Marriott hotel on Pine Grove Road moves forward in Steamboat planning process
- Train derailment closes Bell, Moffat and Sharp avenues in Oak Creek
- Steamboat, Forest Service to hire outside group to lead discussions on Mad Rabbit project in Routt National Forest
- Colorado State Patrol uses airplanes to monitor car speeds along US Highway 40