Spoke Talk: Biking events pack next weekend
June 7, 2013
Next weekend will be busy and fun for the cycling community and especially for mountain bike riders, with several events taking place at the ski area:
■ Thursday: Sponsorship Day
The Steamboat Bike Park will open Thursday for Sponsorship Day to benefit the Routt County Riders trail maintenance fund. Bike passes will be available from 3 to 7 p.m. for $15 at the Steamboat Bike Shop, which also will offer 50 percent off bike rentals. Ticket proceeds and $15 from each bike rental will go toward the trail maintenance fund. There also will be giveaways and prizes. Season bike park passes will be valid starting Friday. More information is at http://www.routtcountyriders.org.
■ Friday: Gondola opens for season
Daily and season passes for the gondola and the Bike Park will be available at the ticket office, with discounts for ski season pass holders.
■ June 15: Bike Fest and Swap
Recommended Stories For You
The event is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Gondola Square and benefits the Routt County Riders trail maintenance fund as well as Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club cycling scholarships. This will be a great opportunity to view, try and buy gear for the whole family. If you have an extra bike or cycling equipment, bring it to the swap. The cost to sell is $5 per bike or $20 for a 10-by-10 space in addition to a 10 percent commission on items sold. Bikes priced $25 or less are free to enter. Bike drop-off and booth set-up begin at 9:30 a.m. The event also includes balloon artists, bike safety checks, a bike-skills station, music, food and drinks.
■ June 15 and 16: Enduro-X downhill race
The inaugural Enduro-X race series kicks off June 15 with the Rawhide Enduro and June 16 with the Rustlers Ridge Enduro. The series continues Aug. 17 and 18. The courses will feature Bike Park terrain and the mountain's cross-country single track trails. The Enduro-X is a multiday, multistage, gravity-oriented racing format. Races start at the top of the gondola, with each course descending more than 2,000 vertical feet. In addition to the racing action in June, there will be a dual slalom bike race, pump track jam and Strider race for kids. More information is at http://www.enduro-xrace.com.
Paul Matheny serves on the board of Routt County Riders.
Trending In: Explore Steamboat
- Check out some of Steamboat’s top sledding spots
- Down, set…hike! Former NFLers calling Steamboat home
- Steamboat ice castle to grow from the ground up in Ski Time Square this winter
- Steamboat Ski Area Scholarship Day sets record
- Tales from the Tread: Margaret Duncan Brown: Shepherdess of the Elk River Valley
- Steamboat resident Mark Satkiewicz back home and alive after near-death experience
- Steamboat tennis icon Jim Swiggart dies at 69
- Funding for direct summer Houston flight the first casualty of 2A not passing
- Brian Kotowski: Plastic bags, silly walks
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife removes sick mountain lion kitten from private home