Sarah Coleman: 5 fun fall food swaps
Steamboat Springs — Fall is here!! The leaves are golden, temperatures are dropping and nothing sound better than some of your favorite fall comfort foods. Try some of these fun and tasty swaps that guarantee taste, good health and a slimmer waist.
1) Need a pumpkin spice latte — Try turmeric tea instead. Warm almond or coconut milk in a saucepan. Add cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg and a dash of honey. Turmeric is not only delicious but it helps aid in digestion, promotes brain function and is anti-inflammatory. Watch out Starbucks!
2) Craving a Philly cheese steak — Ditch the bread and stuff all the traditional toppings in a roasted poblano pepper. Use ground bison, mushrooms, onions and jalapeños. Top with a can of fire roasted tomatoes. What the heck, add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
3) Want spaghetti — Try spaghetti squash. Roast a cut squash (sprinkle with Italian seasonings) in the oven until tender. Use a fork to scrape out the “noodles.” Add veggies of your choice and turkey or chicken meatballs. For a fun twist make it sweet with some cinnamon and grass-fed butter.
4) Dreaming of a slice of pie — Blend up a pumpkin pie smoothie instead. Use a can of pumpkin, almond butter, pumpkin pie spice, a can of coconut milk and it is just like dessert. Want to get really fancy, add some avocado, spinach and cucumber for added health benefits.
5) Got the Thanksgiving turkey itch — Try taking your favorite holiday ingredients and stuffing an acorn squash. I like ground turkey, cranberries, mashed sweet potato, pine nuts, mushrooms and lots of rosemary and sage … it is portion control at its finest.
No excuses as we move into colder weather and want to hunker down and EAT. Well, you can still eat, just be smart and use some of these tasty and smart substitutions. Happy Fall ya’ll.
Sarah Coleman brings years of personal health and fitness knowledge to the table. Currently the health and wellness director at The Foundry, Coleman is a personal trainer, “CrossFitter,” coach, outdoor enthusiast, managing partner with Inspired Live Network and owner of A Weight Lifted Fitness Camp. She provides flawless technique and a positive attitude. Taking fitness to new levels, she uses the outdoor environment, your living room or work space, as well as the gym to influence and push her clientele. Funky knee socks and outrageous colors make Sarah unique, which transfers into her training and brings a smile to everyone’s face.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Explore a mix of in-person and virtual events happening this weekend in Routt County.