Local production brings awareness to a global cause | SteamboatToday.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Local production brings awareness to a global cause

Two of the actresses in this year's "The Vagina Monologues" are Kim Brack and Josie Seibel. The production is a way to support a global campaign to end violence against women known as One Billion Rising.
Courtesy Photo

If You Go...

What: “The Vagina Monologues”

When: 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday

Where: Off the Beaten Path (Thursday show only) and the Chief Theater

Tickets: $20 general admission or $50 specialty seating

If You Go...

What: Sundance Studio Benefit Classes

When: All day on Monday, Feb. 16

Where: Sundance Studio

Cost: Suggested donation of $15

— Whether the women in Steamboat’s production of “The Vagina Monologues” are young or old, they have a voice and want it to be heard.

“Sometimes, we forget the women who are abused or have encountered violence,” said Ann Ross, one of the actresses reading the monologue entitled “Vulva Choir.” “I want to represent those who are not always thought of.”

These monologues are part of a global movement encouraging a cultural shift in the treatment of women and girls. It’s known as the nonprofit, anti-violence organization, V-Day.



If You Go…

What: “The Vagina Monologues”

When: 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday



Where: Off the Beaten Path (Thursday show only) and the Chief Theater

Tickets: $20 general admission or $50 specialty seating

The campaign for V-Day is referred to as One Billion Rising, and it’s driven by the mission to help bring an end to violence against women and girls everywhere.

In front of the Chief Theater, Kyle Paolantonio, co-director of Steamboat Springs’ “The Vagina Monologues” strikes a pose to represent the production that supports a global cause.

Starting Thursday, the group of 35 actresses and volunteers will present the annual production of “The Vagina Monologues” starting at 8 p.m. at Off the Beaten Path bookstore. On Friday and Saturday, the production will move to the stage at the Chief Theater.

The monologues originally were produced by Eve Ensler, the founder of One Billion Rising, and adapted from a series of interviews she conducted with women. Topics range from sexual abuse and repression to beauty and coming-of-age moments.

Although 10 of the monologues are recreated each year, it’s the actress’ voice that makes the character come alive.

“We are always told from the director and acting coach that the purpose of this is to let our own voice shine in the piece and not to act too much,” said Emily Katzman, one of the actresses who is reading, “My Vagina, My Village.” “It’s really powerful. We are giving voice to these characters, and we want to give the piece justice.”

“I think all of the actresses are very brave to talk about a subject that tend to be left under the table,” Ross added. “But it takes brave people stepping up to say we have to take a stand.”

To help a local cause, 90 percent of the ticket sales from the Steamboat production will benefit Advocates Building Peaceful Communities, an area nonprofit providing services to victims of domestic and sexual violence. The other 10 percent will go to the One Billion Rising campaign.

For the first time, Sundance Studio will host benefit classes to support the global effort. Any class attended on Monday, Feb. 16 will benefit One Billion Rising. In addition, the Wellness Center next door will offer 20 percent off of sales to those who mention the cause.

Kyle Paolantonio, co-director of Steamboat Springs’ “The Vagina Monologues” said this event is more than just a show. There will be live music from visiting musician Candy Lee and a raffle with prizes from more than 60 local businesses.

Tickets for general admission are $20 and $50 for the newly added limited specialty seating with bottomless wine and appetizers at the Chief Theater. Tickets for the special seating only are available at Off the Beaten Path.

To reach Audrey Dwyer, call 970-871-4229, email adwyer@SteamboatToday.com or follow her on Twitter @Audrey_Dwyer1


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Steamboat and Routt County make the Steamboat Pilot & Today’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User