Hospital timeline: YVMC celebrates 100
July 7, 2015
My, what a difference 100 years makes. Celebrating its 100th anniversary, the award-winning Yampa Valley Medical Center started its humble beginnings as the Steamboat Springs Sanitarium at the former Albany Hotel and current-day Old Town Pub building on Sixth Street and Lincoln Avenue. Three years later, it was purchased by Dr. Frederick E. Willett, who ran it for 56 years.
It since moved to Park Avenue, where a "Ski Injuries Only" sign directed patients to a separate entrance, to its current 123,000-square-foot facility at Central Park Drive, where it employs 500 people and treats more than 8,000 emergency room and 4,000 surgical patients each year. "The depth of our medical staff is unique," maintains hospital president Frank May. "The lifestyle here brings high quality individuals into our community."
With that, hoping we never have to sample its services ourselves, we bring you the following timeline of the hospital's heritage in Steamboat.
Dec. 5, 1913 — Five Routt County doctors announce the need for a hospital in a letter to the Routt County Sentinel.
April 13, 1914 — Steamboat Springs Sanitarium opens in the Payne building on Sixth Street.
Recommended Stories For You
Late 1914 — Facility moves to corner of Sixth Street and Lincoln Avenue.
July 1915 — Hospital purchased by Dr. Frederick E. Willett.
June 1, 1921 — Hospital moves to converted apartment building on Seventh and Pine streets.
Aug. 13, 1950 — Routt County Memorial Hospital opens at 80 Park Ave.
August 1976 — $1.2 million expansion adds new X-ray machines and nurse's station
1992 — Steamboat Springs Health Care Association purchases 29 acres at Fairway Meadows for new hospital location.
February 1998 — Ground breaks on new hospital.
1999 — Yampa Valley Medical Center opens at 1024 Central Park Ave.
2010 — $13 million expansion adds Family Birth Place and Surgical Services department.
April 2014—Gloria Gossard Breast Health Center opens.
2014—Yampa Valley Medical Center celebrates 100 years.
Dr. Frederick Ewing Willett outside the Steamboat Sanitarium on Sixth Street and Lincoln avenue in 1915, the hospital's home until 1921 and today home to the Old Town Pub.